lunes, 29 de septiembre de 2014

Cool Sounds: Melbourne Fashion (2014)

I first met Cool Sounds when I put the word out for bands interested in playing the Formless Monday gig series that I organise. I’d never heard of them but they sent me a song and I dug it, plus they seemed like nice guys. The gig was real good fun. I liked their jangly songs that at times expanded into blissful psych pop, and I liked the funny shit they talked in between them. Humour is a big part of the Cool Sounds thing but so is serious musical ability and a focus on writing really, really good songs. This tape is packed with them. The title may be sly reference to their lack of "hipness" but for me this is the sort of thing that Melbourne music is all about : a group of unassuming guys starting a band and not looking to take the world by storm but being motivated by simple things. Like playing a heap of gigs with their friends. Like recording some tunes and putting them out on a mates label. Like making it all about having a good time. It all comes through on this album. I hope you dig it as much as I do.

No hay comentarios: